Dry Eye Treatment In San Antonio, TX
Dry Eye Treatment in San Antonio at Nevelow Eye Associates
At Nevelow Eye Associates, our team of optometrists and staff have happily served the San Antonio, TX, community for many years. In that time, we've gotten to know people struggling with dry eye syndrome. Every day, we come to work with a mission to provide our patients with accurate answers and meaningful solutions to their discomfort.
What Causes Dry Eye?
Normally, your eyes are covered with a protective film of water, oil, and mucus that lubricates the eye every time you blink. If something causes a disruption in the tear film's quality, quantity, or both, your eyes will lose moisture and get dry.
Dry eye syndrome can be caused by many conditions. Finding the cause of your symptoms is essential to your treatment plan. In our experience, the most common conditions or factors that contribute to chronic dry eye include:
- Autoimmune diseases like lupus, Sjogren's syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and Meibomian gland dysfunction are a few underlying health conditions that impact the normal tear production or quality.
- Indoor air conditioning, cold or dry weather, and high pollen count
- Exposure to irritants or allergens like dust, pet dander, cigarette smoke, motor vehicle exhaust, and cosmetics
- Side effect of certain medications
- Eye surgery, infection, or injury
- Using a computer or wearing contact lenses for too long
Dry Eye Symptoms
If you have dry eye syndrome, you almost certainly can tell. Symptoms of dry eye can be extremely frustrating, distracting, and uncomfortable. Common dry eye symptoms include:
- Eyes that are red, itchy, irritated, or feel "gritty" (as if sand is stuck inside)
- Blurry vision
- Heightened light sensitivity
Dry eye syndrome can also lead to a watery eye discharge. This discharge can dry out on your eyelids and lashes, especially as you sleep, leaving behind a crusty residue.
Dry Eye Treatment from Our Eye Doctors in San Antonio
If you're suffering from dry eye syndrome, contact our optometry clinic for treatment. We can determine the cause of your dry eye with a comprehensive eye exam, and decide the most effective treatment for your needs. Dry eye treatment include:
- Medicated eye drops
- Oral medications
- Prescription eyewear, including hard-to-fit contact lenses
- Lifestyle counseling like environmental modifications to improve eye health
Had Enough with Dry Eye? Contact Our Optometry Clinic in San Antonio for Treatment
Here at Nevelow Eye Associates, our team is dedicated to improving the eye health of our patients. Contact our optometrists in San Antonio today by calling 210-349-2437 to schedule an appointment.