Myopia Control With Our San Antonio Optometrist
Nevelow Eye Associates and its optometry team is committed to improving and protecting you or your child's vision by helping to control myopia. Our skilled San Antonio optometrists will use cutting-edge optical technology to find out if you're myopic and provide early treatment to slow or prevent its progression. We offer a wide range of customized solutions that help with myopia control in children and adults with good near vision, but poor or reduced distance vision.
What is Myopia and What Causes It?
Myopia, or nearsightedness, is a vision problem caused by a refractive error that reduces the eye's ability to bend and focus light on the retina. This makes you see things clearly up close, but blurry from a distance. Visual stress is another contributing factor. Spending less time outdoors and more time doing near-vision work, such as prolonged computer use, are risk factors of myopia onset and progression in school-aged children.
- Blurry vision
- Eyestrain or fatigue
- Poor "low-light" vision
- Trouble reading the blackboard in school
Why Myopia Control is Important
These symptoms can negatively impact children's school performance or social experience, or interfere with driving safety in adults with degenerative myopia. Taking steps to slow or stop myopia progression increases distance vision and prevents eye conditions such as glaucoma, retinal detachments, cataract, and macular degeneration.
How Our San Antonio Optometrists Can Help Treat Your Myopia
Dr. John Nevelow or Dr. Erin Nevelow will perform a series of vision tests to determine if you're myopic, and based on your age and the severity of nearsightedness, the appropriate treatment option will be discussed.
- Eyeglasses: This primary treatment choice for myopia control involves using bifocal or progressive lens eyeglasses that help the eyes focus better.
- Contact Lenses: These, including multifocal contact lenses, are worn on the outer layer of the eyes. They correct refractive errors by adjusting the eye's focusing power.
- LASIK: Advancement in optometry makes vision correction surgery possible with LASIK. A laser is used to reshape the corneas and correct myopia permanently by altering how the eyes focus. It's also an effective alternative to wearing glasses or contact lenses.
- Orthokeratology: Ortho-K is a non-surgical option that uses a series of specially-designed contact lenses to change the way your cornea refracts light. It improves myopia by flattening the curve in the cornea.
Atropine eye drops, vision therapy, lifestyle changes like limiting screen time, and encouraging your child to spend more time outdoors can also prevent myopia from getting worse.
See Clearly With Advanced Vision Care by Our Optometry Team
Clearer vision is in sight! Our professional eye care team at Nevelow Eye Associates will help get you the right contact lenses, style, shape, and fit of eyeglasses, or provide vital eye care services to optimize your vision and eye health. Call our San Antonio, TX office at 210-349-2437 to schedule an appointment.